Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Yes, I can be a ditz

So between the picture I just posted and a brain fart while posting a comment on Christina's blog I was reminded of a story. (and this does slightly involve my hubby, so I hope he won't mind)

So Rich had just finished a major undertaking. Ya know, one of those things that you really were hoping you could spend your life without. But sometimes life just sucks and you gotta go through it anyway (that reminds me-the registration on the car that isn't working is coming due, ugh.) And anyway, there we were in the van driving away, relieved that everything had gone as planned. On the left side of the road was an open field and to our right was a low grassy ridge separating the road from the parking lots. Rich was driving and I felt the need to tell him how proud I was of what he had just gone through. It went something like:

"Babe, I just need to tell you how proud I am of you right now. I know that it wasn't easy, and that you hated the people you were with but now KITTY! (Look brightly at mystified husband) Pretty Kitty!"

Yup, sitting on the little hill on my side of the car was a young cream colored cat with chocolate points. I still can remember it quite well, wondering where it had come from, since it was too well bred to be feral.

I turned back to my husband with a big smile, and slowly reality dawned. I had been RIGHT in the MIDDLE of telling him something important to both of us, when my mind had suddenly decided to do the equivalent of stripping down and running naked through the sprinklers. Now I'll ask you what you would have done in that situation? When you suddenly realize that the sprinklers you've been running through are situated directly between a television news studio, and a courthouse. . . For me, the only option was, Laugh. Anytime I find myself embarrassed over something stupid I've done or said (as long as it doesn't' Really Hurt) I try to be the first one to laugh.

At first, Rich was not so amused. But I started apologizing my ass off and laughing the whole time about how AMAZINGLY stupid that was. It was like my brain had gone into the back room just in time for the baby to get into the pudding and unroll the toilet paper all at once. The Brain knows that something bad has happened, but has NO IDEA how it came about.

I just feel lucky that his sense of humor won out and I wasn't given the silent treatment for the next few days. Instead it is a perfect example of how my brain is kinda like Velma on Scooby Doo. She was always right there, until you turned around-and then she was gone. Through a trap door, or revolving wall. But just gone until she found her way back into the story again. Yup that's my brain-Velma.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely like your Blog...
was very suprised indeed, after I had ALMOST judged you as a religious nutcase, based on the comment you left on "Foreign in Frankfurt".

Glad I seem to be wrong ;) - visit my wife's Blog http://heissescheisse.blogspot.com if you'd like to continue the discussion.

Best ones,
- Sparky

MezzoDragon said...

YES! Once again I have narrowly avoided the "Nutcase" Label! (though my friends might not agree)

I'm not sure if reading random people's blogs is a good thing for me to do-since on occasion I will be unable to overcome the urge to comment.

At least I havn't made anyone cry yet. . .that I know of.