Thursday, September 01, 2005

What to do when Chased by a Monster

I love webcomics. It's great to have something that updates daily (or less often) that actually reflects your tastes. I still read most newspaper comics when I get the chance, but I enjoy being able to read my favorites and skip over the rest. And when it comes to webcomics there are hundreds to choose from. Some are wonderful works of art, some are funny, others have plot lines up the wazoo. Some are shit. There was one that I read, went through the archives, kept up-to-date with it for a few months. I mean after all it was a fairly new comic and the summary the author had written outlining where they planned to take the story got me interested. . .But it sucked in so many ways (art, character development, actually having a point, art) that I stopped reading it. I almost feel bad, leaving it behind like that, but I have so many others that have, I don't know. . . Value.

Speaking of. . .Today's posting of "Commissioned" struck me in a wonderful way. "What to do when chased by a Monster" My Husband and I like watching Thrillers and the occasional Horror movie, but we are always left feeling like there could have been more. They so often suffer from bad acting it's true, and often special effects that look like they were developed on the "Special" Bus (if you get my drift) But it seems to me that the most rediculous thing is when you feel the need to yell at the character-or say to the person sitting next to you, some thing like: "NO!! don't go in there! What are you a f&*#ing MORON! Doesn't the BLOODY HANDPRINT on the door give you a hint???? Why didn't you just leave and not come back after you found the cat nailed to the wall and "GET OUT spelled out in it's entrails??" You might like to think that the character is smart because they figured out the cause and how to stop it. . . but wouldn't a really smart person have said "F*#% this Shit" and left after the first 20 minutes?

That said, We were lucky enough to be invited over to watch Movies with the Oglethorpes last night (did I spell that right?) "Shawn of the Dead" was much more fun for me the second time around-both because I could understand it better, and because these people are not stingy with the laughter. And I think there was only one moment where I really wanted to grab a character by the hair and ask"what is wrong with your brain?" Though I admit the "Zombies" from "28 Days Later" are my favorites. They run after you like starving hyenas that are going to eat the flesh off your arm like corn off a cob.

Anyway Commissioned today is about the stupid behaviors exhibited in horror movies. And if you do go take a look at the rant-after all, it did inspire me to ramble for this long on my own.

And thank you to everyone for inviting us last night, and especially to Christina for giving me that copy of the Avenue Q Soundtrack (and Tony for copying it!)

Cheese!
MDragon

No comments: