Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Update and a List

Last night I went in to the doctor's and they checked the heartbeat with a doppler. It was running between the 140's and 150's. And just for the record, I hate hate hate all of the: "Oh the heartbeat's ____, your gonna have a girl! Oh! You're craving _____, it's going to be a boy! Oh! you saw a red truck get walked on by a six toed cat with the mange. . . " I just wish that everyone would keep all of their stupid old-wives' tales to themselves. There's a 50/50 chance whatever it is will be right. I've had to deal with one major 50/50 results test -- THIS isn't it. As long as it's healthy and human I don't care what your Great-great-great grandmother says works every time. Have her go play roulette and win you some money. THEN I'll be impressed. Anyway, the big sonogram is on Thursday, so we should know then. (cue the stories about mistaken gender)


grrrr

Anyway, my good friend, the Walrus, put a challenge in his blog. To list your twenty most means-something-to-me songs. I liked the idea. But I gave myself a rule: Only one listing per artist. I'm at work, and in the middle of moving, AND pregnant, so my brain has been a bit scattered of late. But anyway...

Sonja's Top 20 (in no particular order)


1. Your Daddy's Son - "Ragtime"
The most emotionally powerful song, EVER. And it has nothing to do with being pregnant. I made hubby cry the first time I sang it for him. Runner Up: A Little Fall of Rain - "Les Miserables"

2. Throwing Stones - Paula Cole
My favorite "Pissed-off-and-wanna-break-something" song.

3. Bring Me To Life - Evenescence
Proof, you can have a classical voice and still Rock. All you need is the right band.

4. Just a Girl - No Doubt
I am not what you think a girl should be. I know, and can do, more than you think. And if you put me down because I'm a girl. . . you'll learn real fast what "growing up with the boys" has taught me.

5. Lost in You - Chris Gaines (Garth Brooks)
I didn't think much of this song before I met Hubby. Now it's "Our Song".

6. White Flag - Dido
The chorus says a lot about where my life was for the last year-and-a-half. 'nuff said. Dido runner up: My Lover's Gone

7. Carmina Burana
One of the very few things I regret in life is being too sick with Mono to be onstage singing this piece. Yes, you have heard it.

8. El Paso - Marty Robbins
How can you not love a song as you watch your Grandfather, Father, and Cousins, act out the song every time they hear it. Hearing Hubby sing it on our first date might well be what did me in.

9. Dust In The Wind - Kansas
I fell in love with this song when I first heard it played on the "Highlander" series on TV. It used to be my Favorite overall, but it's amazing what finding out the results of a 50/50 test can do to your outlook on life.

10. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
I love Queen, but promised I'd keep it to one. This song is just FUN! Who doesn't at least FEEL the temptation to headbang???

11. Through the Night - Theme to "Outlaw Star"
It's rock, in Japanese, but I love it and sing along. And the translation of the words is just what I need to hear sometimes.

12. Cell Block Tango - "Chicago"
The first time I heard it was onstage. Before it was over I knew the chorus and the gist of the verses. Yeah, I liked it.

13. More Than Words - Extreme
Two guys and an acoustic in the middle of the Big hair/Bigger distortion era. Can you say Balls?

14. I Do - Lisa Loeb
A hit song about being pissed at your recording company for pressuring you to produce another hit song. I love irony.

15. Wild Horses - Chantal Kreviazuk (?)
Ok, I admit I can never remember her name (I'm not even sure that's it). But she's the one I, and probably most people, think of when I hear this song. I don't know what the Rolling Stones were trying to do, but this is proof that remakes can be better than the original.

16. Seven Spanish Angels - Ray Charles/Willie Nelson
Following the last one, this is the song I would jump at the chance to re-do. Not that they aren't both masters, but Willie should stick to writing, and Ray should have left the gospel choir at home. Yes, I think I could do better.

17. the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack
I know that I'm cheating a little bit - but there were so many things I loved about it! From just about falling out of my seat laughing so hard at "Like a Virgin" in the theater. To missing the high notes they added when I heard Elton John's original "Your Song" on the radio.

18. If You Could See - Geoff Moore and the Distance
This is how everyone wants someone else to feel about them. Last Line: If beauty is all in the eye of the beholder than I am beholding true beauty.

19. Beat My Dog - Audra McDonald
Just my favorite singer with an upright Bass, till the last chorus when they are joined by an acoustic. Sooo much fun, I can't listen to it without smiling.

20. Stonehenge - Spinal Tap
Too many good memories not to list a "Tap" song.

1 comment:

Chastity said...

I absolutely HATED all the heartbeat rate old wives tales...as well as the "you're carrying high/low so it's a boy/girl" thing. Everyone told me that if the heartbeat was usually above 140 then it was a girl, less than 140 it's a boy....totally wrong for me and I loved telling every single one of them that it was wrong.