Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Movie: The Color Purple

So, Rich's new show with Smiler's over at the Empire theater opened last Friday. It's an adaptation of "Peter's Friends". And, uh. . . I sat up in the sound booth with Steph during the show. . .so, I uh. . .couldn't hear it. :)

Over the weekend I watched "The Color Purple" for the first time. I really enjoyed it, even though it was a touch trite. Quincy Jones did a great job on the music-if I ever have money I might look up the soundtrack. Whoopie Goldberg deserved all of her nominations for her performance. Having grown up watching her portray strong characters, it was almost bizzare to see her play this frail beaten woman. Granted the story is about how she gains strength over the years, but you don't see that person till the last 20 minutes or so. Oprah Winfrey did a great job with her character too. Rich said they could have easily made a whole 'nother movie about Sofia's story.

Overall it was not what I had expected it to be. All I had heard was that it was about a young woman who was abused by, and had two children with her father, before landing in a marriage with a husband who beats her. I expected the "Shindler's List", "American History X" type of movie. Ya know? Good, Amazing, but in a terrible way. So, I was surprised to see that the focus had been kept on the humor in the situation. And while the strength she finds does involve anger, and rightly so. The real power comes from joy.

The whole point isn't being pissed off at how you've been wronged. But finding value in the moments of happiness you are given. And making sure that they come as often as possible.

"It pisses God off, when you walk by the color purple in a field, and don't notice."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have to read the book its much better, especialy the scene where she learns how to press her own special button. i hope you are dong well. i am honestly doeing very very well all things considered and i am blaming most of my hapiness on mike. i taped the milagro bean field war so the four of us are gonna have to do a movie night and watch it some time.

ttyl,
lace*

jayeofmanyhats said...

Red it was a lot of fun losing to you at Hold'Em the other night.
I agree with the beautiful Lacey. The book was much much better than the movie.