Sunday, November 05, 2006

Thank God for McDonald's

I'll probably start posting very frequently with updates since I now have internet access in the sitting area 20' away from my front door.

Right now I'll just give the short, short version of what's been going on:

September 1st: Had the most beautiful baby boy EVER by emergency c-section. 6lbs 1.4oz 18.5 in. The perfect picture of health was a wiz at breastfeeding and was only held back by the bedridden mess he knows as "Mommy".

November 1st: We went to the two month well-baby vist. First the doctor noticed a high breath rate, then I mentioned that his feeding was a little off since sunday, THEN she heard a murmur. Tests were done at our home kaiser office and they found that he had an enlarged heart that was basically causing congestive heart failure. CHF! In my georgous, happy, two month old baby! They were unable to find the reason and I ended up in two different ambulances with my baby until we were in the PCICU at UCSF. Luckily we have an amazing cardiologist here who found the problem right away. The found a "Misplaced Coronary Artery" (officially, abbreviated something like ALPACA, or ALCAPA) on the 2nd. Surgery on the 3rd, and today they closed his chest. The staff at the hospital is amazing, and they're always using the word "great" to describe how he's doing.

I'll try to expand more later, but right now I'm just trying to stay awake till my laundry is done.

My baby is "great" and the Social Worker at the hospital is a blessing.

She found Hubby and I a place at the SF Ronald McDonald house. It has everything we could need. We have an "apartment" with it's own bathroom and a big walk-in closet. There is plenty of food in this amazing, huge kitchen, and there is also reserved fridge and cupboard space for room. And other groups come by and make meals for the residents a few times a week. They have big washers and dryers in the basement (and 35cent cans of Coke...in San Francisco!!) There are electric breast pumps on each floor just like the ones at the hospital. Books, magazines, internet access.

And as long as he's in the hospital we can stay here. . .for free.

Next time you go by McDonalds, please throw some change in that little clear box.

Almost forgot. My BIL brought his laptop this weekend and blogged about what was going on.
http://www.myspace.com/joesilvasr

g-night

4 comments:

jayeofmanyhats said...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! The rest of your "family" wants to give you, Rich, and Ronan hugs ASAP!

Shan'Chelle said...

Sonja,

I'm a bit speechless at this moment. I had heard bits and pieces of the story and my heart wept for you guys. All I can say is my thoughts and prayers are with you, Rich, and the baby...I just know you will get through this "great". I'll make a special trip to McDonalds this week but please if YOU need ANYTHING please know that I will help in any way i can. I may not get to see you guys anymore but there are many ways to get you the help that you need.

~Shanda

jayeofmanyhats said...

I just finished reading all of the BIL blogs...I can not wait to see you guys. I love you three so much! Very proud to be Ronan's Uncle Jaye!

Cjristina said...

Cathy had sent me a notice about Ronan on Thursday and I've been thinking as many positive thoughts as possible. So glad that you and Rich are in a place that allows you to not focus on anything but Ronan's getting better. Thanks for this update and thank you for reminding people about that plastic box....made me feel really good that I always have put in change in that box although until now I never knew anyone who had to use the "house." It just always seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Now I know it's because there are hundreds of thousands of fabulous Sonjas and Richs with beautiful Ronans that need to be well and need one less worry. If there was anyway to make it easier I hope you know that there are hundreds of people here who would help you shoulder the burden!!!! Keep strong and glad that Ronan made it through the surgery!!!!!! If he's anything like his parents then he will always face adversity and triumph! Never forget that. I'll continue to keep your family in my thoughts and well...the closest thing I come to...prayers. Best wishes always!